A veneer is simply a thin, custom made translucent layer of porcelain or composite that fits permanently over an existing tooth to improve its shape, color or size.
If you’ve ever looked at a celebrity or model and wondered how they achieved that seemingly perfect smile – the answer is likely porcelain veneers.
Today, veneers are a more common, affordable, durable, and long-lasting solution for anyone looking to quickly improve their smile.
Using computer imaging and before-and-after photos, we work with each patient to decide on the style, shape and color veneer that works best for the smile you’re looking to achieve.
5 YEAR GUARANTEE
We personally believe porcelain veneers are one of the best long term options and one of the best cosmetic solutions. At Midlothian Dental Center, we personally guarantee your porcelain veneers for 5 years against manufacturer or material defects.
Veneers can help correct the following cosmetic flaws:
- Crooked teeth
- Gaps between teeth
- Cracked or chipped teeth
- Stained, discolored or yellow teeth
- Poorly shaped or sized teeth
- Natural looking: Each veneer is highly customized to look like your ideal natural teeth. Not only are they an efficient solution for fixing a range of cosmetic flaws, but no one will ever know they’re not your natural teeth.
- Fast procedure: Veneers are a quick dental procedure and require only 1-2 visits based on the type of veneer you get in order to achieve your ideal smile.
- Stain resistant: While professional teeth whitening is a cosmetic option, some patients suffer from discoloration that even the best teeth whitening techniques may not correct. Not only do porcelain veneers allow you to achieve your ideal shade of white, they’re also stain resistant so you don’t have to worry about staining your teeth again.
- Durable: When applied properly and well cared-for, porcelain veneers are extremely durable. You can eat, drink, speak and brush normally. While they resemble tooth enamel, veneers will not discolor like enamel does. With proper care, your veneers should keep you smiling for 15-30 years. At Midlothian Dental Center, we use the latest and best materials and techniques ensuring you get veneers that last close to a lifetime.
- 5 Year Guarantee: We believe porcelain veneers are one of the best long term options and one of the best cosmetic solutions. This is why we personally guarantee your porcelain veneers for 5 years.
When applied properly and with proper care, your veneers should last for 15-30 years. To maintain veneers, a patient should floss and brush daily, see our hygienist twice a year and avoid chewing on hard objects such as biting your nails. The good news is porcelain veneers generally take as much force to break as your natural teeth does.
The durability of veneers makes them an affordable and long-lasting option for achieving your ideal smile.
- Consultation & Plan. During an initial appointment we will examine your teeth and discuss your desired results to make sure dental veneers are the best option for you. If dental veneers are a good option for you, we will take X-rays and make impressions of your mouth and teeth.
- Preparing & Creating Veneers. Before preparing your teeth, we will decide on a local anesthetic to keep you comfortable during your visit. Our resident and highly skilled nurse anesthetist will be there to administer the best option for your needs. In order to prepare a tooth for a veneer, we will remove about 1/2 millimeter of enamel from the tooth surface. This is a thin amount about equal to the size of the veneer that will be added the the surface of your tooth or teeth. We will then make a model or impression of your tooth. This model is then sent to a dental laboratory, which in turn constructs your veneer. It usually takes 2-4 weeks for us to receive the veneers back from the laboratory. For noticeably damaged teeth, temporary dental veneers can be placed.
- Placing Veneers. At your next appointment, we will temporarily place the newly constructed veneers from the laboratory onto your tooth to examine the fit and color. We are perfectionists so before we permanently fit the veneer, we will spend time carefully trim it as needed to the achieve the proper fit and color shade.
Next, we will clean, polish, and etch (or roughen your tooth to allow for a strong bonding process) your tooth to prepare it for the veneer. A special cement is applied to the veneer and the veneer is then placed on your tooth. Once properly position on the tooth, your dentist will apply a special light beam to the dental veneer, which activates chemicals in the cement, causing it to harden or cure very quickly. The final steps involve removing any excess cement, evaluating your bite and making any final adjustments necessary to the veneer.
Whether you’re looking to cosmetically improve your smile or you want to improve the condition of your teeth, porcelain veneers are a great solution for most people. Depending on the condition of your teeth and your personal smile objectives, we will recommend the best type of restoration options for your individual needs.
Veneers were first invented in 1928 by a California dentist who wanted to help actors quickly improve their smile before a film shoot.