Going to the dentist doesn't have to be a pain.
What is Conscious Sedation?
Conscious sedation is a combination of medicines to help you relax (a sedative) and to block pain (an anesthetic) during a medical or dental procedure. You will probably stay awake but may not be able to speak.
The sedative is carefully administered to last the duration of your visit, proportional to the extent of the dental care you require. Conscious sedation enables you to recover quickly and return to your everyday activities soon after your procedure.
How Does Sedation Work?
The sedation treatment option is simple. Here’s how it works:
- You are given a small pill to take one hour prior to your dental appointment.
- The medication causes drowsiness so a companion must drive you to and from your appointment. By the time you arrive, you will be very drowsy.
- Once you arrive, a Midlothian Dental Center team member will escort you into a private room, cover you with thick, warm blankets and monitor your vital signs.
- A member of the staff will be with you at all times to ensure your safety and comfort throughout the entire procedure.
- When your treatment is completed, your companion will take you home.
- Once the sedation wears off, you will wake up refreshed.
No. You will feel nothing!
No, you will be in a deeply relaxed state but responsive.
Yes, a team member is always with you and your vital signs are monitored during the entire visit. You are never alone.
Depending on your needs, from two to six hours.
Yes, due to the sedative effects of the medication, you will need someone to drive you to the dentist and home again.
2 in 5 children have at least one cavity by the time they go to kindergarten? In fact, without proper care, early childhood cavities can appear shortly after the first tooth appears. Once a baby develops tooth decay, he or she is more likely to develop additional cavities over time.